Tools and practices
All information in one place
Below you can find various test to help you to identify your personal assetts
Want to learn more about your type of attitude towards other people and tasks to do?
Big 5 test
Find out about the underlying traits that make up your overall personality.
Team roles test
What team role suits you best? This reliable test at 123test.com is to reveal your natural team roles.
This test will give you a detailed description of who you are and why you do things the way you do.
In this page you'll find for practicing with your students or staff
Below you find suggestions on three levels;
Intro – Intermediate – Advanced
Train the most important core skills as a trainer or team leader, or with your students.
Intro= 2-4 hours; Intermediate=4-6 hours; Advanced= 1-2 weeks
"Ability to transmit something to someone in a clear and understandable way."
"Spoken, written communication and nonverbal communication"
find videos on youtube – here´s one suggestion:
- Why is communication important ? Name 3-4 situations (work, study, priovate life) where communication is crucial ?
- Which elements is ’communication’ about ?
- Do you think that communication skills can be improved – how ?
- What kind of atmosphere promotes good communication ?
- Watch this video
- Which of the hints could you apply – how? Which are not useful – why ?
Discussion / Reflection (in 1-3 weeks after):
Discuss the individual thoughts and outcomes in group
What promotes /prevents good communication (personal traits, atmosphere, other persons, etc.)
Make a written reflection 1-2 pages
Reflection / discussion:
- Figure out some important basic mindsets supporting good communication ?
- What do ’why’ and ’attitude’ mean when communicating ?
- Which elements of communication appeared on the video?
- Name 3-4 hints from the video which you could apply
- Where could you practice these (figure out concrete contexts)
- Do the DISC test and google your results . How should your type communicate with other types ?
- Practice this in different contexts and at least 3-4 new skills for communication (video).
Discussion (in one week, short time!!)
- Experiences learned through practising: What worked ? What didn´t?
- Is there something in my character traits (Big Five and 16 types tests) enabling/hindering communication ?
- What could I improve in my communication ? How ? Create a plan with goals and practice.
Alt. A: Nonverbal communication
Watch one of these or other appropriate video found on youtube:
Reflection / Discussion
- What can be included among ’nonverbal communication’ or ’body language’
- How does this communication arise – what does it express?
- What kinds of impacts can these have in our communication?
- Video link
Dialogue vs. monologue
Practice dialogue in communication in your team during 2 weeks. Evaluate your communication skills:
–by the team
The first test, personalities
Team working skills
"Intent to colaborate and cooperate with others in a team to reach a common goal"
see videos (e.g. those enclosed)
What is ’team work’ about ? How does it differ from ’group work’? Where does it fit well in? Which advantages can be achieved through team work?
Take the Team role test and save your results
Explore ’team roles’ on internet and find more about your/other roles.
Make a reflection on 1-2 pages:
Which are my natural roles in a team? Did the results and things you read match with your existing perceptions? What was new? What kinds of thoughts did this arouse? Is there some things you can/want do differently , or that you can/want to learn?
See a video about team work.
Where do you apply team work ?
What can be achieved through better team work?
What are the elements of team work?
Take the DISC test. Find out how different DISC –types perceive things and how they communicate.
- Which team roles are natural for me?
- How do different roles contribute to team work?
- Which roles do we have in our group/team?
- What info does the tests provide to the team leader?
- What did I learn about communication (through DISC)
Importance of Team work? A good team worker? A good team leader?
- Which team working skills do you use in your work? (ref. e.g. to the video in Intro part).
- Rate yourself from 1 to 5 in each skill . Which skills do you want to develop?
Practice these skills under one week in your work or student team. Set goals. Keep making notes.
After practicing , have a wrap-up by sharing experiences:
- Which were my goals, how did you succeed?
- Which challenges did you meet?
- How can the team support learning team skills?
- What does it take to develop a skill?
- How can you/we go on developing?
Team roles test
"Belief in own capability of performing a task or solving a problem Ability to plan and follow-up own actions"
watch videos suggestions
What is self-management about? What can you gain by managing yourself well?
Which are elements that SM builds on?
Where could you apply SM in your work-studies-leisure time ?
Take the ’16 Personalities’ or the Big Five test. Save your results. Google them to find interesting insights on your profile.
Sum up in a reflection of 1-2 pages , and/or discuss in group:
- Which are your predominant traits? How do you notice this in your daily life ?
- Did the results and things you read match with your existing perceptions? What was new ?
- In terms of self-management, which of your traits support it? Which might form a slight challenge ?
watch the suggested video about self discipline
Reflection / discussion:
- Which where the six steps presented on the video ?
- Which of them could work for you ?
- What would it take? How would it improve your performance ?
- Check the definition beside – is it comprehensive ? Is there something missing?
- Select some SM skills you want to develop
- Make a week- or a month plan on how you apply the hints you got in this section
- Start applying them
- Follow-up by making notes
Discussion (after the plan)
- Did it work ?
- What was cool ? What was challenging ?
- What did you learn ?
- Do you feel you are mostly doing things you want to do? What stories do you hear yourself telling? If you could choose right now, what would be the things that would really motivate you? How can ‘passion’ be created? What is your ‘Why’?
Practice self management and self motivation in your work and private life. Set goals. Keep making notes.
After practising , have a wrap-up by sharing experiences
- Which were your goals?
- How did you succeed?
Big 5 test
"The 21st Century has different leadership styles. Discover your style and create it."
The third part of this page is all about leadership.
A skill that everyone wants to master, but no-one..
There is a myriad of authors that have studied leadership and/or have proposed different leadership styles. We have chosen some of them:
- James C. Hunter. His short novel illustrates a radically different approach in which the leader is serving and backing other acts. This contrast with the misconception of a leader to be only the guide of the group.
Daniel Goleman. After showing that there is not a unique style, we show the different styles proposed by Goleman. These styles are illustrated with shots of different movies such as Gladiator, Invictus or Dead Poets Society
Before the inspiration is presented, participants think of different people whose leadership has impressed them. After leadership styles are presented, we share the names of those people and we propose them to group them and to identify which leadership styles do they practice.
Participants are also asked to think about concrete actions conducted by them where he acted as a leader. What was the context and the problem, what do they do, and what was the outcome is presented to the others? Participants can ask for further information or to discuss other actions to be taken and their possible outcome.
After the session, participants are invited to think about situations in which they have led and what is their particular style. They are also invited to think if other styles would have been more effective, what will be the pros and cons of each of them.